Sunday, February 26, 2006

Every Single Frickin Frackin Thing I Did in Colorado

As I'm sure you all are dying to know what I did in Colorado for five days, here is ______________ (insert title here). I'll just start by saying ... DAMN my face hurts. Racoon tan from my goggles. Except more of a sunburn.


At 3:30pm Sunday afternoon, we (Nick, Steve, and I) left Bayville to stay with Daddy for the night, because a van was coming at 4:15am the next morning to bring us to our 6:00am flight, as I said before. Mom made us bring the AeroBed, so I slept on that while Nick and Steve each grabbed a couch. Nick got the short couch (less than five feet long), and his legs were up the wall. No joke. It was very amusing. Anyway, we had to get up at 3:30am the next morning, and Steve and Nick had to run out in the freezing cold to go downstairs and shower. Smart me took a shower the night before. I don't bode well with cold when I'm wet. So I stayed warm in cozy in my bra and panties (I slept in my undies) until the van pulled up and then I ran across the room like crazy getting dressed and deodorizing and cleaning my teeth and all. I must say, I looked good when I got out.


Our flight was delayed by an hour and a half after we went through the longest secuirty line EVER where they made me take off my Converses, so by the time we landed in Denver it was about 11:30am (1:30pm our time). By the time we waited for the van to the rental agency, got all of our stuff (four duffel bags, three ski bags) on the van to the rental agency, made the ride to the rental agency, took all our stuff off the van to the rental agency, got our rental car and took the two hour drive from Denver ALL the way into the mountains to Avon, which is about 5 minutes from Beaver Creek, it was close to two o'clock. So by the time we checked in, brought all of the bags up, etc., it was 3:00pm, and since most lifts close at 3:30, we decided to screw skiing for that day and headed up into the village to give a howdy-doo to Brian, Nick's dad. Brian owns three restaurants in Beaver Creek, The Chophouse, The Blue Moose Pizza, and Foxnut. Awesome places.


We get special access to the restaurants because Nick is the owner's son, so we just swung into his office, gave a hello, and made plans to go to The Chophouse at 5:00pm that night. Actually, we WANTED reservations for 5:00, but they were booked up, so we made reservations for 4:45pm and just went at 5:00.

We also found a bunch of guys in chef hats giving away free samples of chocolate chip cookies - yummy um ummy!!! Nick and Steve had three and I had two. They were all warm and gooey ... I'll stop. Then we stopped by this snowboard shop at the bottom of the escalators in BC village, and then just walked around, checking out the new location of The Blue Moose and his newest restaurant Foxnut, a sushi place, which is SO cool. The walls and ceiling are bright pink, the booths are bright green, the counter is bright green, the walls are green trimmed, they have live fish in bowls at the bar, and they have the COOLEST lights: they're light bulbs surrounded by connected paper flowers falling about two feet below it so you can't even see the bulb, and these were pink and green. Very chic, although I doubt Brian knew that.

At the snowboard shop, I found these awesome white snow pants for $210 that I didn't get, and this awesome bag/backpack thing that was HUGE (but not a tote). It had that green-brown canvas-y material, the kind some pants are made out of, and it had a buttload of pockets, and it was SO cool. There was also this green, blue, yellow, and red plaid sweater that sounds really weird but it was actually awesome, and I didn't get it because there were no smalls. And Nick and Steve found these vinyl (!) shoes that they fell in love with and didn't get. I personally thought they were ugly as sin, but try to keep my brothers away from shoes and you will be hurt.

Since Nick's half-brother Will had a ski day (!) at school Wednesday and could ski in Beaver Creek (where they live), we skiied Vail Tuesday and met up with Steve's friends Kelly and Sara and we skiied a while with them, Kelly's family's friend who's a ski instructor, her dad, and her stepmom, and we had a bunch of fun, even though in the morning it was 20 below and it warmed up to a balmy 8 degrees. Very cold. But the first day was also tres exciting.

Nick decked me!!! He was going off a lip, but little did he know I was directly under it, about to launch myself down this steep trail. About 6 feet away from the lip, he saw me, but he thought I was going to move, so he kept going. At about 1 foot away he thought, "Oh, shit, I'm going to kill CC," and then he thought, "Oh, shit, Steve [as in my dad] is going to kill me," and then he screamed, "Oh, shit!!" I looked up, we made eye contact, and I swear to God I thought, "Hmmm, Nick's above me, that's interesting," and then he grazed my left elbow (which was my uphill side) and I fell onto my side, but I saw him tumble (he landed frickin frackin HARD) so I was up in less than a second going to him because he wasn't moving, but he, the darling, whispered faintly, "Are you okay?" and I said, "Yeah, I'm fine," then I kicked my skis off and helped him sit up and ripped his goggles off and he looked like he was in so much pain. He couldn't raise his left arm above the shoulder (which he landed on) and we later found out from Pat (Will's mom), who's a physical therapist, that he probably ripped a tendon, but he toughed it out and kept going with us for the rest of the vacation, my angel. We only stopped once that day, me, him, and Dad, since my left knee was killing me, and Steve continued skiing with his chicas.

My left knee hurt the entire trip, as it does sometimes when I'm running. Damn knee. My left elbow also hurt when I touched it from the fall, and Nick ripped my brand new jacket!! Only a week old the day it was ripped. But it's fine. I like it. It gives the jacket character.

The first run was so beautiful Tuesday - it was freshly groomed, and the night before they had gotten a light dusting of snow so the grooming was all soft and there was still powder on the sides of the trails and it was so nice. Then for dinner we went to The Chophouse (what a great place) and our waiter was really, really, really, really cute. He had this adorable little accent and ... oh, I'll stop.

Wednesday we went to Beaver Creek and skiied over at Bachelor Gulch for the morning before skiing down to BC village to meet Will at McCoy's, so we sat down there and Dad went to make a call, and who should come over but Brian, who suggested we go to The Chophouse for lunch, which we did and sat outside, and Brian would wait for Will and send him over to us. Good plan.

We (Steve, Nick, Will, and I) had huge cups of hot chocolate since it was still pretty cold out, mid-20s, and I had a delectable prime rib sandwich, ummy ummy. My left knee was hurting again, so Dad and I left the boys at the top of Redtail and we went in for a break at Beano's Cabin. I know, I know, it's a weird name, but, hey, deal with it.

Will is a beast! He's 10 years old and skis like a monster! He tucks the entire way, not turning, not looking left and right, just speeding down the hillside and jumping over anything he can find. Little animal.

That night, Nick and Brian went out for dinner alone somewhere in the village, and Kelly and Sara came over and we all went to the Blue Moose for quite ummy pizza, where they have paper table cloths and crayons! We drew all over it, and Sara drew a dancing bear that was on the crayon cups, but added mean eyebrows and made him saying, "I'm a bear! I'm an angry bear!" I studied it and said "Sara, he still doen't look very angry. How about a whip?" So now he looks like a kinky bear instead of an angry bear, and we drew a whole bunch of creatures that Steve promptly drew Hitler mustaches on and so I drew hearts all over his side and we wrote "I heart Brian" and everything all over it and we want to try to sell it to the MOMA. They would totally accept it.

Oh, and there was a Yankee there! Brian Smith or something, I dunno, a black guy with a World Series ring. Then we walked around town and went to the General Store and had fun and I saw a shirt that said "I got lucky in Beaver Creek" that I wanted to get, but Nick wouldn't let me, so I didn't. Oh, I forgot, by where the old Blue Moose used to be, where Foxnut is now, there's a sign that says "BLUE MOOSE PIZZA IS 147 STEPS TO YOUR LEFT" or right or something. Brian had actually counted the steps about 20 times and then averaged it. Cool, eh? Brian and Nick stopped by The Blue Moose after they finished eating and we still were, and then Brian took us back to The Chophouse where they have a magician named Kiyan and we got a private magic show in this special reserved room. He's incredible. I have no idea how he does his stuff. Look him up ... he's just ... I ... it ... oh, just go to Colorado and see him for yourself, mmmkay?

Finally, on Friday, we returned to good ol' BC. Kelly had never been to BC even though she's been going to Vail since third grade and Sara's never been to Colorado before so they came over and we had so much fun. Steve took us on this incredibly difficult double black trail called Royal Elk Glade that Will had shown to Nick and him. It was really steep and at MOST the trees were two and a half feet apart, and moguls were naturally made because of people turning around the trees. Steve, Nick, and Kelly tore it up, while me and Sara slid and laughed down it, and Dad stayed behind us in case we fell. We had lots of fun planning ways to kill Steve and Nick for taking us down it, and then it cleared up and we tore down it and it was very fun. Probably the hardest trail on the mountain. I would do it again.

Oh, and on one of the last runs Friday this woman who I thought was a man decked me as I was merging into the trail, and this really cute ski patrol guy yelled at the woman and kept saying sorry to me and he was SO cute and I was finally just like, "Yeah, I'm fine, oh, by the way, you're really cute." Nick and Dad saw it, Kelly and Steve were at the bottom, and Sara came around the corner to see both of my skis release and me fall onto my back. It was a pretty great fall.

I'm done, but you know what? No matter how much I write, you'll never get it. There was so much more to it than just this. I don't know why I bother...

Anyway, if you've stuck by me this long, I have a question that you can comment to answer. What do you think of the nickname 'Lia' for me instead of 'CC'? You know, the other end of 'Cecilia'. Answer me.

No comments: