Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Desperate

I'm desperate. I'm desperate to help somebody, to do something, to stop the way I hurt other humans and the environment.

I want to stop global warming, or, as it's now being called, climate change. I don't want to have to see another clip of a polar bear struggling to get onto an ice floe because it's habitat is literally melting away.

I want to stop the Canadian seal hunt. I don't want to see the sea in northern Canada turn red from the blood of baby seals.

I want to stop deforestation. I don't want to travel state to state, country to country, and never see anything but cities and highways.

There are so many things I want to do, so many ways I want to help, and I don't know how to, or if I can. I don't want to do these things to get my name in the papers, to be remembered. I want to do it just to make things better.

And, in time, I know that if I don't help, and if I live selfishly, I'll never be satisifed with myself. I like to think of myself as an extraordinary person with extraordinary needs, beliefs, and goals. These are things I must do. It's not a desire, it's not a want, it's a complete and utterly heart-wrenching need.

I can't live in a world with people and animals who are oppressed, who can't live because, somehow, they were left out when the food, water, jobs, and homes were given out. How does it end up like that? How can people standing on the sidelines watch things turn out the way they do? Why doesn't everybody feel like this?

Why does it seem that nobody else cares?

There are organizations that put animal abusers in jail. There are charities that give clothes to humans living in poverty. But those groups care about their cause, and their cause only - they fight for government funding because they think that what they are doing is more important. Why can't it all be important? Not just to make it more simple, but because it all is. Every little thing that is corrupt and terrible about the world that I have no choice but to live in is as important as everything else.

Please, I'm begging anybody, everybody who reads this, tell me I'm not insane. Tell me that what I'm typing right now is right, is true. There is something wrong, many things wrong, things that need to be fixed. It's not all in my head; it's right here, right now. Please.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Then do something.

Good luck.

Patrick said...

yes.

but when i'm asked to save a box of kittens or an infant baby from starvation, i'm going to choose the human being. *thinks back to Omega last year*

Anonymous said...

What about sending the kittens to the shelter, and take care of the baby?

Anonymous said...

Haha, I'd do that

I like animals better than people

I'd make someone else take care of the baby, though

I'm not THAT mean

Patrick said...

i'd get my rofl coptor and shoot down roflwaffles for both the kitties and the infants to enjoy for eterinity!

Patrick said...

eternity*

Anonymous said...

totally agree c (i can't continue with the comment cause then it won't rhyme) (oops)

Anonymous said...

There is a corridor that leads into an empty room.

The room is completely empty except for a lamp in one of the corners.

On the other side of the corridor are three switches.

You know that one of them turns on the lamp, the other two don't do anything.

You can play around with the switches turning each of them on and off as much as you like, then you can go into the room one time to check whether the lamp is on or off (there is a door so you can't know without entering the room).

Leaving the room, you have to know which of the 3 switches works and which 2 don't. The question is: How do you do it?

Anonymous said...

there are some gossip rumors going around that like everybody apparently konwed except for me, like that jess came out of the closet and you and her are goin out? it sounds not true, though also quite realistic and possible. wanna fill me in?

Nick said...

hahahahah i love anonymous. and yea you guys are going out. admit it.

Nick said...

dude why dont y o u e v e r u s e y o u r s c r e e n n a m e ? a n s w e r b a c k n o w i a m v e r y c o o l y e a t h i s i s c o o l .

Patrick said...

i think jess's comment about "we're just best friends" reminded me so much of the band Tatu who is a German pop group who did that song with the music video of like: what would life be if were were lesbians. i am aware that was a huge run-on sentence. if anyone knows what i am talking about with Tatu, then good. if not, i will crawl back into my hole.

i also liked jess's use of the word "we" four times in a row. observe:

..."we are best friends that is why we are always seen together. Yeah we act weird, but we don't really care what people think of us."

your well in english.

Nick said...

omg pat that band tatu hahhahaha i know what ur talkin about, no need to crawl back into your hole hahahahahahha yea good job with the grammar jess. well im actually listening to my new favorite song at the moment. its called "love like winter" by AFI. take a listen if you like, it owns your faces, well im off to go hang out with my cool friends, later dudes

Patrick said...

fifty bucks says Jess did spell check on that last post. heyo!

anyone? anyone?

Nick said...

hahahahahahahahaha you guys are dumb mothafukas

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Patrick said...

i just noticed, and really love, how you posted this entry at 11:11; a palindrome!

i really love palindromes.

Anonymous said...

so wait. y do you kiss her?
im so confused? you guys hookup--but your not going out?
interesting thought.
pce